a Pecan Shell
1904: Edward Burleson
Raymond, a former foreman of one of the King Ranch divisions, organized
the Raymond Town and Improvement Company.
A timeline of significant events in Raymondville's history:
1904: Post office was granted
Right-of-way was granted by Raymond and the King Ranch to the St.
Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway. Town lots were sold by Raymond
and by Henrietta King, to settlers looking for property to farm.
1914: Population reaches 350
1929: Population reaches 1,800.
1941: Population reaches 4,050
1952: Population reaches 9,000 (including rural populace).
Raymondville remains a center for area agriculture. Well-executed
murals brighten downtown and are worth a drive out of your way.
White Wing Hotel by
Born with great expectations in the optimistic post-World War II days,
death came 63 years later amid gangs and drug dealers. Only this was
a brick and mortar Baby Boomer, not a person. Nevertheless, when the
end came, it was not pretty.
business in Raymondville
TE photo, 2002
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact