in a Pecan Shell
namesake of the creek (and Bigfoot,
Texas) was one of
the first people to settle the site. The community grew up around a sawmill built
By the mid 1890s a school had been built for the children of
the region. The fifty students were taught by a single teacher. A fire destroyed
the school in 1899 and it was built overlooking Wallace Creek. (All the better
for the students to daydream.)
The community store had a post office granted
to it in 1906 but since a name was required, the postmaster submitted Bluff. The
name prior to the opening of the post office is unknown.
Although the population
was only 20, it appeared on maps. The post office closed in 1930 – an early victim
to the Great Depression. Medina schools absorbed
the one in Bluff.
As late as 1948 the town had at least one business and
a population of 25. No further estimates are available.
County 1920s Map showing Bluff (NW of Bandera)|
Texas General Land Office
|Book Hotel Here
- Expedia Affiliate