was built between 1895 and 1900 by English immigrant William Hall (b. 1833), who
came to Texas in 1888. After Hall's death in 1900,
the stone house and surrounding ranchland were owned by several early ranch families.
Prominently sited on a hill overlooking Bear Creek, known earlier as Viejo Creek,
Brambletye is a rare example of late 19th-century English vernacular architecture
in the Texas Hill Country.
It features hand cut stone walls two feet thick and ceiling beams of hand-hewn
walnut and other hardwoods.
Texas Historic Landmark - 1983
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos, please contact