History in a Pecan ShellA
man with the very southern-sounding name of Raleigh Gentry reportedly settled
in around Cleo just prior to the Civil War. In 1880 a post office was opened under
the name of Viejo named after nearby Viejo Creek.
was transferred to Junction
in 1886, but reopened in Viejo in 1915. John Simpson ran the post office in his
store and when the business was sold in 1920 – the post office was renamed after
the niece of the new owner (Sam L. Pearson). Cleopatra Weston was the honoree.
During the Great Depression cutting cedar for posts became about the
only money-making enterprise in the area.
population reached a high-water mark of 81 when the post office closed in 1974.
Cleo’s decline is attributed to being bypassed by Hwy 83.
|"The sign on
the building refers to it as the Bear Creek Community Center. It's across the
street from the old store, on the west side of 2291."
Whetstone, August 2005 Photo|
Mike Cox (From "Texas Tales" Column)
The folks along Bear Creek in Kimble County always called the mysterious stone
carving the “Cleo Face.”
That is not to say that the Cleo Face is Cleo’s
About as close to a ghost town as you can get, Cleo is on Farm
Road 2291 about 10 miles northwest of Junction. Founded in 1880 and first known
as Viejo... more
|The historical marker
is within walking distance south of the old store and community center. The Morales
Ranch ruins, ss the historical marker indicates, is about 350 yards west of the
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels