in a Pecan Shell|
Lake Victor was a mere railroad
camp along the Houston and Texas Central Railway at the turn of the 20th Century.
The community's name may have been a joke since the "Lake" was actually a borrow
pit that was only filled if there was enough rain. The namesake was the railroad
crew foreman - Victor Kellogg.
In 1903 lots were sold and both school
and post office opened. Lake Victor was prosperous for the next 25 years. From
a population of 200 in 1914 it increased to 250 by the mid 20s.
economy was stagnant through the Great Depression and the the 40s but the population
stayed more or less the same. The school merged with the Burnet
ISD in 1947 and the railroad abandoned their tracks in 1951. The mail was rerouted
through Lampasas in 1957.
1966 seems to have been the town's high-water mark with 350 people. By 1972 there
were only 200 residents which is where it has remained more or less every since.
Lake Victor Masonic
LodgeWe were on
vacation this summer and happened upon Lake Victor. In this just about deserted
town we found this Masonic Hall on the last street we traveled. - Will
Victor Lodge Historical Marker|
Photo courtesy Will