TexasEscapes.com  
HOME : : NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : TEXAS HOTELS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : BUILDINGS : : IMAGES : : ARCHIVE : : SITE MAP
PEOPLE : : PLACES : : THINGS : : HOTELS : : VACATION PACKAGES
TEXAS TOWNS
Texas Escapes
Online Magazine
Texas | Architecture | Courthouses

REAL COUNTY COURTHOUSE
County Seat - Leakey, Texas

Real County has had two courthouses: 1913, 1917

Book Hotel Here > Uvalde Hotels
1917 Real County courthouse, Leakey Texas
Real County courthouse (South side).
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, January 2008

The Present Real County Courthouse
- Leakey, Texas

Date - 1917
Architect - A. Reuter
Style - Classical Revival
Material - Local limestone
Location - 4th Street, Courthouse Square, Leakey
Annexes added in the 1970s.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

See Real County Courthouse Historical Marker
Real County courthouse  Ransom Annex, Leakey Texas
Ransom Annex on the east side of the 1917 Real County courthouse
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, January 2008
Photographer's Note:
"The Ransom Annex on the east side of the 1917 courthouse was completed in 1978 and is, essentially, the new courthouse. The 1917 courthouse now houses county offices. This stone building was designed by Barton D. Riley & Associates.

Both the South and North side of the 1917 Real County courthouse entrances were converted to windows.

The courthouse contained a jail with two small cells that was used until 1978. The bars can still be seen on the windows." - Terry Jeanson
1917 Real County stone courthouse north side, Leakey Texas
North side of the 1917 courthouse
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, January 2008
Real County courthouse, Leakey, Texas vintage photo
Real County Courthouse as it appeared in 1939
Photo courtesy TXDoT
Real County courthouse, Leakey, Texas 1950s vintage postcard
Real County Courthouse in the 1950s
Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/
1917 Real County courthouse jail cells, Leakey Texas
The courthouse jail with two small cells used until 1978.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, January 2008
Real County courthouse historical marker, Leakey Texas
Real County courthouse historical marker
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, January 2006
Historical Marker Text:

Real County courthouse


Leakey was the county seat of Edwards County from 1883 to 1891 when a vote moved the seat to Rocksprings. Real County, named for businessman and State Senator Julius Real, was organized from parts of Edwards, Kerr and Bandera counties in April 1913. Leakey was named the county seat and a temporary building was erected on the square. Controversy over the site of the county seat continued for several years, so Judge D. D. Thompson began planning for a permanent courthouse upon his election in 1917. Voters approved bonds to finance a permanent structure. The bonds were financed through Hanover National Bank of New York.

Architect H. A. Reuter designed the 1918 courthouse, and the firm of McCreary and Schott served as contractors. According to oral history, a local builder known as "Scotty" Archibald made a significant contribution, as well. E. F. Vanderbilt was construction superintendent.

Using native limestone quarried from Tucker Hollow near the site, workers erected Reuter's vision of a Classical Revival edifice with a fortress-like fašade. The rusticated limestone bands were laid in regular courses with quicklime bonding to create the building's texture and solid feel. A stone pediment with simple cornice topped by a standing seam metal roof contributes to the building's character. Renovations and additions made in 1978 transformed the original doors into large central windows with flat arch and transoms. The fine structure retains its original flavor and distinctive features and remains the center of Real County government.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2000
See Leakey, Texas |
Real County
More Texas Courthouses

Related Topics:

Texas
Texas Town List
Texas Counties
Texas Architecture
Texas Images

Book Hotel Here
Kerrville Hotels
Uvalde Hotels
Austin Hotels
More Hotels
Custom Search
Uvalde Hotels
Find Hotel Deals in Uvalde, Texas
Book Here
TEXAS ESCAPES CONTENTS
HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | HOTELS | SEARCH SITE
TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES

Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | FORTS | MAPS

Texas Attractions
TEXAS FEATURES
People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
Vintage Photos

TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | USA | MEXICO

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes. All Rights Reserved