TexasEscapes.com HOME Welcome to Texas Escapes
A magazine written by Texas
Custom Search
New   |   Texas Towns   |   Ghost Towns   |   Counties   |   Trips   |   Features   |   Columns   |   Architecture   |   Images   |   Archives   |   Site Map

Lampasas County TX
Lampasas County

Counties
Texas Counties


Texas Towns
A - Z

Lampasas Hotels

More Hotels

MOLINE, TEXAS


Texas Ghost Town
Lampasas County, Texas Hill Country

Ranch Road 1047
Near Mills County Line
15 miles NE of Lometa (via Ranch Road 581)
Population: 40 (estimate - same number from 1970)

Book Hotel Here › Lampasas Hotels


TX - Moline sign on FM 1047
Moline sign. "Looking north on FM 1047"
Photo courtesy Mark Mauldin, July, 2005

History in a Pecan Shell

Settlement began around 1884. A blacksmith opened shop with a corn mill as a side business. The name is said to come from homesick Hossiers - pining for their previous home of Moline, Illinois. Another story is that the name came from the popular Moline plow - one of which was present when town-naming was being discussed. A cotton gin opened in 1900 and in 1910 a post office was established in J. W. Trussell's store.

The town was fortunate enough to have a physician (Dr. Hicks) who not only opened a drugstore - but also opened a rare emergency operating room.

Moline's first school was a one-room building 2 miles south of town.

In the 20s a man named Jim Tom Brown built a garage over the foundations of the former blacksmith shop.

In the 1930s the town had thirty-five people or so and three stores. By 1935 a teacherage was added. Moline reached its population zenith in the early 1940s with around 100 people calling the town home.

Moline's student population declined until the students attended classes in Lometa in 1943 and then onward to Star the following year.

The old school was then converted into a community facility.

The population declined to the point where it was estimated as a mere sixty in 1949.

The town's post office closed its doors in 1976. Moline had had two stores plus the post office in the early 1970s.

"The stone structure was Paul Lee's General Store/Gas Station. The store sold various groceries, feed, and gasoline. It also housed the Moline, Texas Post Office until the post office closed in the mid-1970's. The store permanently closed its doors a short time later. " - Donna Kay (Soules) Mauldlin

TX - Molin Schoolhouse Interior
Molin Schoolhouse
Photo courtesy Jeremy Herring, 2012

Historical Marker: from Lometa go NE on FM 581 about 8.5 miles, then take FM 1047 N about 5 miles

Moline School Site

The Moline community was settled on the north central boundary line of Lampasas County in the 1880s. Early families in the area were the Carswells, Cooks, Andersons, Woods, Bakers, O'Neals, Hairstons, Pattersons, Poes, Murphys, Adamses, and Woolseys.

Children of the settlers attended school in Payne Gap (Mills County) or in the Gray community. Facilities at these schools grew too small to accommodate the number of children in the area. In 1916, Kenneth A. and Olive Patterson donated five acres of land for the Moline School. Prominently sited on a hill (100 yds. SE) overlooking the community, the original three-room building was constructed by G. C. O'Neal with the help of other citizens.

From 1916 until 1949, Moline School grew to include five classrooms, a science lab, library, homemaking room, shop, lunchroom, and a four-room teacherage. During its peak enrollment in the early 1930s, Moline was the largest rural school in Lampasas County. Although the school closed in 1949 and Moline is now a ghost town, their history is an important part of the heritage of Lampasas County.
1985

Moline, Texas - Moline School Site Historical Marker
Moline School Site Historical Marker
South of Moline below the school site on FM 1047.
Part of the structure can still be seen on the hill.

Photo courtesy Mark Mauldin, July, 2005


TX - Molin Schoolhouse Interior
TX - Molin Schoolhouse Interior
Molin Schoolhouse - "The exterior of the building is almost completely overgrown with vegetation."
- Jeremy Herring, 2012 photos

Moline TX - Paul Lee's General Store/ Gas Station / Post Office
Paul Lee's General Store/Gas Station/Post Office
Photo courtesy Mark Mauldin, July, 2005



Take a road trip

Texas Hill Country

Moline, Texas Nearby Towns:
Lampasas the county seat
Lometa
See Lampasas County

Book Hotel Here:
Lampasas Hotels | More Hotels

Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact us.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Texas Escapes Online Magazine »   Archive Issues » Home »
TEXAS TOWNS & COUNTIES TEXAS LANDMARKS & IMAGES TEXAS HISTORY & CULTURE TEXAS OUTDOORS MORE
Texas Counties
Texas Towns A-Z
Texas Ghost Towns

TEXAS REGIONS:
Central Texas North
Central Texas South
Texas Gulf Coast
Texas Panhandle
Texas Hill Country
East Texas
South Texas
West Texas

Courthouses
Jails
Churches
Schoolhouses
Bridges
Theaters
Depots
Rooms with a Past
Monuments
Statues

Gas Stations
Post Offices
Museums
Water Towers
Grain Elevators
Cotton Gins
Lodges
Stores
Banks

Vintage Photos
Historic Trees
Cemeteries
Old Neon
Ghost Signs
Signs
Murals
Gargoyles
Pitted Dates
Cornerstones
Then & Now

Columns: History/Opinion
Texas History
Small Town Sagas
Black History
WWII
Texas Centennial
Ghosts
People
Animals
Food
Music
Art

Books
Cotton
Texas Railroads

Texas Trips
Texas Drives
Texas State Parks
Texas Rivers
Texas Lakes
Texas Forts
Texas Trails
Texas Maps
USA
MEXICO
HOTELS

Site Map
About Us
Privacy Statement
Disclaimer
Contributors
Staff
Contact Us

 
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes LLC. All Rights Reserved