you’re standing on a suspension bridge and the span begins to bounce as a car
starts across, it may be necessary to suspend an instinctive urge to run.|
This is especially true with the Regency Bridge, which crosses the Colorado River
23 miles from Goldwaithe to
link Mills and San Saba counties. Looking down at the river below, a normally
robust appears to be considerably smaller.
Suppressing hard-wired flight
impulses can be even more difficult if you’ve pulled off Mills County Road
127 to read the 1976-vintage
historical marker summarizing the bridge’s history. The first bridge on this
site was built in 1903. That structure, a traditional truss bridge, lasted
only 23 years – practically a blink of an eye when it comes to public infrastructure
typically designed to last a half-century or more.
the first bridge’s builder surely considered impossible happened on May 9,
1924 when a rancher and his two sons pushed a herd of cattle across the bridge...
River Bridge at Regency
Regency's 1939 bridge is one of eight remaining suspension bridges in Texas and
has been used in commercials and as a backdrop for television programs. It was
rededicated March 1, 1999.
The original 1903 bridge fell in 1924 and
its replacement was swept away in a flood in 1938. Construction of the bridge
was from April to October of 1939.
Mills and San Saba Countys both paid
for construction of the bridge which was built with local labor under supervision
of the Austin Bridge Company of Dallas.
During WWII, the bridge
was visited by troops stationed at nearby Camp Brady and locals used the bridge
as a meeting place and held dances there.
Regency Suspension Bridge Historical Marker|
"On Fisher St (183/16) in
front of the First Baptist Church in Goldthwaite"
Marker - In Goldthwaite, on
Fisher St (183/16)|
extinct town of Regency, 22 mi. SW)
This area's first Colorado
River bridge was at Regency, on Mills-San Saba
County line. Built 1903, it served ranchers and farmers for going to market, but
fell in 1924, killing a boy, a horse, and some cattle. Its successor was demolished
by a 1936 flood. With 90 per cent of the work done by hand labor, the Regency
Suspension Bridge was erected in 1939. It became the pride of the locality, and
youths gathered there in the 1940s to picnic, dance, and sing. Bypassed by paved
farm roads, it now (1976) survives as one of the last suspension bridges in Texas.