a Pecan Shell
in the mid 1870s with the arrival of the Wm. Sam Hutchinson family.
A post office under the name of Whistler opened in 1881 and
the town was primarily a wool-shipping point.
Storekeeper/ postmaster Warren Garret was postmaster when the community
was estimated to be around 40 residents.
In1884 Whistler had a school called Tularosa to serve the children
of local ranchers. There wasn't much more to Whistler besides the
school, store / post office and residences.
In 1894 the
name of the post office was officially changed to Tularosa.
It was a quiet community in a quiet county and if nothing happened
here, it seems that it met the approval of residents.
The community continued shipping wool and growth was not something
people worried about. In the mid 1920s, the students of the school
were sent to Brackettville
schools and their building was relocated in 1932, being renamed
"The River School."
With its school gone, Tularosa lost a good part of its identity.
It was dropped from maps and by the time WWII
ended, the town only had scattered residences.