| History in
a Pecan Shell
The town had been part of the Slaughter Ranch before it was
broken up and sold for small farms in 1923. Ackerly was named for
it's founder, a Georgian named Paul Ackerly.
A post office opened in 1924 and a school district was formed. Because
of the vastness of the area and the scattered children, the district
included parts of Dawson,
Borden, Martin, and Howard
counties, but the school was built at Ackerly.
In 1948 the population was 500 with as many as four cotton gins operating
at one time. The population had fallen to 317 by 1980 and the town
declined further - reaching just 243 by 1990.
"Nice little town. Lots of interesting subjects." - Barclay
Gibson, July 2015
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, February 2004
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact