TexasEscapes.com 
HOME : : NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : TEXAS HOTELS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : BUILDINGS : : IMAGES : : ARCHIVE : : SITE MAP
PEOPLE : : PLACES : : THINGS : : HOTELS : : VACATION PACKAGES
Texas Escapes
Online Magazine
Texas Towns by Region
  • Texas Hill Country
  • Central Texas North
  • Central Texas South
  • South Texas
  • East Texas
  • West Texas
  • Texas Panhandle
  • Texas Gulf Coast
    Texas Towns A - Z
    Over 2800 Towns

    Texas Ghost Towns
    Over 800 Ghost Towns

    Book Hotels
  • Andrews Hotels
    Find Hotel Deals in Andrews, Texas
    Book Here

    ANDREWS, TEXAS

    Andrews County Seat, Texas Panhandle / West Texas
    Highway 385
    34 miles North of Odessa

    Population: 9652 (2000) 10,678 (1990)

    Book Hotel Here > Andrews Hotels

    Andrews Methodist Church, Andrews Texas
    Andrews Methodist Church
    Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006
    More Texas Churches

    History in a Pecan Shell

    Both county and city are named for the same man. Richard Andrews was the first man to die for Texas Independence in 1835. Wounded in Gonzales on October 2, 1835, he died 26 days later at the battle of Concepción.

    Andrews County was organized in 1876 and named after him and the town of Andrews is the only incorporated municipality in the county.

    According to the Handbook of Texas, 1908 is the year things got started around a nucleus of just a school and a general store. The entire population was less than 100 at that time and few of them lived in the city proper.

    The post office was granted in 1909. Shafter Lake was Andrews rival to become county seat, but Andrews won and Shafter Lake is now a ghost town. Andrews first courthouse was built in 1911, and replaced with the 1939 building.

    Things stayed quiet until oil was discovered in 1929. That year saw oil discoveries all over West Texas, but the strikes were modest compared to other counties.

    In 1940 the population had risen to over 600 - but many were oilmen and their dependents.

    Andrews got a library in 1947 - although it was only space in the courthouse.

    Six county school districts were established in the 1930s, but they were soon consolidated into one. Oil revenue purchased a new high school after WWII and a middle school was built in 1954.

    The population dipped to 3,300 in 1950 and then rose to just over 11,000 in 1960.

    See Andrews County Courthouse

    Andrews County courthouse, Texas
    Andrews County Courthouse
    1940 Photo courtesy TXDoT
    Andrews Grammar School , Andrews, Texas
    Andrews Grammar School
    Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006
    More Texas Schoolhouses
    Andrews Grammar School  sign, Andrews, Texas
    Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006
    Andrews Primary School, Andrews, Texas
    Andrews Primary School

    Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006
    Andrews Primary School sign,  Andrews, Texas
    Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006
    Former Andrews County jail, Andrews, Texas
    Former Andrews County jail

    Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, August 2002
    Former Andrews County jail, Andrews Texas
    Another view of the former Andrews County jail

    Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, August 2002
    More Texas Jails
    Andrews State Bank Andrews  Texas
    Andrews State Bank

    Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006
    Andrews State Bank sign Andrews
    Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, April 2006
    More Texas Banks
    Andrews Chamber of Commerce - (432) 523-2695
    700 West Broadway, TX79714
    http://www.andrewstx.com/
    Welcome to Andrews, Texas sign
    "Welcome to Andrews"
    Photo courtesy Debbie Gomez

    Andrews, Texas Forum

    Subject: Andrews Texas
    I visited your site today and noticed Andrews was not a part of the search as yet. I have attached our summary for your convenience. ... I really enjoyed what information you have posted so far. Thank you in advance for adding us to your database!

    Andrews County has been in existence since 1876, when the 15th Legislature of Texas created 54 counties in the Panhandle and South Plains out of Bexar County. The political control of the county has passed through several other counties and districts since its inception. On July 22, 1910, the county records were finally transferred from Midland County to Andrews County, and the Commissioners Court held its first meeting.

    Andrews County's first oil well blew in December of 1929. By 1956, the County produced more than 60 million barrels of oil annually - giving us recognition as the number one oil producing county in the state of Texas and in the United States.

    The City of Andrews was incorporated on February 2, 1937. On June 9, 1959, the citizens of Andrews adopted a charter with the Council - Manager form of city government. The City Council meets twice a month on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month. The city continues to operate under this structure serving a current population of 9,652.

    In 1961, the Municipal Administration building was constructed at the corner of N. E. 1st and Logsdon Avenue. The Facility currently houses most of the city offices including the Municipal Court and the Police Station. Plans are under way for a new site for the police station. - Debbie Gomez, June 06, 2002


    Book Hotel Here > Andrews Hotels | More Hotels

    Texas Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic photos, please contact us.

    Related Topics:
    Texas Town List | Texas Ghost Towns | Texas | Texas Hotels

    Andrews, Texas
    Area Towns:

    Odessa

    Book Hotel Here:
    Andrews Hotels
    More Hotels
    More Texas Towns & Hotels:
    Texas Panhandle
    West Texas
    Texas Town List
    Texas Ghost Towns
    Texas
    Texas Hotels
    Custom Search
    Book Hotel Here - Expedia Affiliate Network

    CITY SEARCH


    Andrews Hotels
    Find Hotel Deals in Andrews, Texas
    Book Here
    TEXAS ESCAPES CONTENTS
    HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | HOTELS | SEARCH SITE
    TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES

    Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
    TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | FORTS | MAPS

    Texas Attractions
    TEXAS FEATURES
    People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
    COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

    TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
    Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
    Vintage Photos

    TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | USA | MEXICO

    Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
    Website Content Copyright ©1998-2013. Texas Escapes - Blueprints For Travel, LLC. All Rights Reserved