State Highway 114 and FM 168
About 12 Miles E of
Population: 00480 (2000)
in a Pecan Shell
town with no 19th Century history, Smyer appeared in the mid 1920s. It was platted
in anticipation of the railroad’s arrival (the Santa Fe) and it was named after
a railroad superintendent (Clifton Smeyers). Rancher W. L. Ellwood sold small
parcels of land to would-be farmers.-
The community got off to a promising
start with a cotton gin and school soon established. A lumberyard facilitated
building and in 1926 a post office was granted.
Tragedy struck in 1929
in the form of a tornado that demolished the school as well as the town windmill
and water tower. The loss made the Great Depression a little harder to bear for
residents. The 1940 Census reported five businesses and a population of 125. By
the end of WWII it had doubled
to 200 residents and the number of stores trebled to 15.
Growth was slow
but steady over the decades as the town added services. By 1980 there were 455
residents. By that time Smyer had added a city hall and fire station as well as
a grain elevator.
The 1990 census reported 442 people which grew to 480
by the year 2000.
"Texas" shaped welcome sign|
Gibson, March 2010
"Being on the eastern edge of Hockley County, Smyer was hit
hard by the reduction/closure of Reese Air Force Base."
Gibson, February 24, 2013
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here
- Expedia Affiliate Network|