of Cone Historical Marker on US 62|
Photo courtesy Rick
Vanderpool, May 2010
History in a
Stanton Cone, one of the first settlers here, is the community namesake. The town
was established around 1901 with a post office opening two years later.
Landowner Charles "Uncle Charlie” Travis donated a site for a school and the Cone
district was organized in 1905.
Cone had an estimated population of 150
people in the late 1930s – the high-water mark of population.
In the mid
1960s the school consolidated with Ralls
and by the late 1980s, Cone was down to less than 50 citizens. It increased to
70 for the 2000 census and residents are eagerly awaiting the 2010 count to see
how many of them there are.
is 2 miles west on FM 193.
of ConeNamed in
1903 for S. E. Cone, who helped carry mail here from the nearby town of Emma.
Post Office was established same year in general store of R. E. Chapman, who became
the first Postmaster. Town once had a school, stores, and churches. Now center
of irrigated section, which produces cotton,
sorghum grains, and wheat.
with burial, April 17,1897, of W. G. English, Father of J. P. and E. M. English;
on land patented by the state to J. P. English, October 9, 1897. Title was adopted
after post office was named in 1903 for rancher Stanton J. Cone. Cemetery was
bought by Judge Pink L. Parrish for Crosby County, May 8, 1910.
Crosby County postal map showing Cone (N of Emma)|
Courtesy Texas General Land Office