|History in a Pecan
The town was first named Gypsum after the abundant mineral
deposits. The town came into being with the arrival of the Fort Worth and Denver
Railroad in 1899. Gypsum was granted a post office that same year and the name
was changed to Goodlett after a local rancher. Early statistics are unavailable
but the 1940 census reported a population estimated at 300 which fell to just
over 200 by 1980. Ten years later it was below 100 and the figure of 80 was used
for the 2000 census.
Goodlett is about
eight miles northwest on Quanah. The
RV Park is pretty interesting in that the office, etc is located in the old gin.
Note the RV hook ups in the foreground. - Barclay
Gibson, February 2007