History in a Pecan
an amalgam from the names of early settlers Claude B. Hurlbut and W. M.
The community has no 19th century history. It was first a
the railroad, although a post office soon opened in 1926. Population was meager
with just fifty people in residence in 1940. A WWII
Army Air Field training school was opened early in the 40s.
By 1960 the
population reached its zenith with 185 people and slowly declined after that.
The 1980 population of 115 has been used through the 2000 census.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
| Save on Hotels
- Expedia Affiliate Network|