in a Pecan Shell
Plum Grove with its founding in 1888, it briefly went by the
name of Manlee when it was granted a post office that year.
History has forgotten the source of the name, but when General A.
C. Markley moved to Young County a few years later, they didnít hesitate
to honor the man.
The community enjoyed a quiet existence until the 1920s when oil was
discovered. The population rose so quickly that no one bothered to
get an accurate count of residents. The boom didnít last long and
for the 1940 census only fifty people were determined to be full-time
citizens. The post office closed sometime after 1940 and the community
had only 31 residents in 1980. It remained at that level for the 1990
census but grew to fifty for the count in 2000.
|Plum Grove Baptist
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, August 2013
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact