a Pecan Shell
There had been
a community (Camp Creek) described here in the 1870s, however
it wasn’t until the early 1880s that a store was opened here by a
man named Lee Shields.
A home-managed post office was opened in the house of H.L. and Sallie
Faulk in 1889. Since there had been heated discussion over the name,
the post office was called Discord, Texas. The rancor had faded
by1890 when the name was changed to Rockwood.
Although the census of 1890 only counted 25 residents, Rockwood has
its store, a cotton gin, a blacksmith and a corn mill.
The town crossed over from the north to the south side of the Colorado
River in 1892 with the discovery of coal. There were an estimated
75 residents at that time.
By the middle of the first decade of the 20th Century the coal operation
had already been discontinued and the population had risen to 100
people served by three stores. By 1925 it had doubled to 200 but then
came the Great Depression. From fifteen businesses in 1931, there
were only eight left two years later. The population figure of 200
was still in use throught the 1930s and up until the early 1960s.
The 1970 census counted the more realistic number of eighty.
The last business in town closed in the early 1980s and the 2000 census
keep with the number eighty.
County postal Map showing Rockwood
(S of Coleman
Anna, W of Whon)
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact