a Pecan ShellRanchers
W. F. and George Scarborough are credited as being the town founders in the late
1870s. The community has always made education a priority – proven by the establishment
of the school (1878) thirty years before the community’s first store (1908).
a railroad, from major roads, and close to the
county seat, growth was not an option for the community and the 1940 census
showed on 56 residents. By the late 1960s it had declined to 26 where it has remained
through the 2000 census.
Still, the remaining residents have erected a
stone tribute to their school – which served for many years as a community center.
of Truby SchoolEarly
educational efforts in this area date to the 1870s, prior to the organization
of Jones County in 1881. The rural community of Truby encompassed School District
No. 14 until consolidating with Bitter Creek Schools in 1916 to become District
No. 56. There were three earlier locations for Truby schools until this site was
selected in 1916 and a new building was constructed. Truby School educated children
through grade nine, with students traveling to Anson
for high school. After World
War II, as the rural population declined, Truby consolidated with Anson
schools, But the schoolhouse remained in use as a community center until the close
of the 20th century.
map showing Truby & Phantom Hill
in Jones County|
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their town history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos, please contact