TexasEscapes.com  
HOME : : NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : TEXAS HOTELS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : BUILDINGS : : IMAGES : : ARCHIVE : : SITE MAP
PEOPLE : : PLACES : : THINGS : : HOTELS : : VACATION PACKAGES
Texas Escapes
Online Magazine
Texas | Architecture | Courthouses

CRANE COUNTY COURTHOUSE
County Seat - Crane, Texas

Crane County has had two courthouses: 1927 and 1948
See Crane County Courthouses History

Book Hotel Here > Odessa Hotels
TX - 1948 Crane County Courthouse
The 1948 Crane County Courthouse
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, February 2013

Crane County Courthouses History

Although formed in 1887, the area of Crane County remained sparsely settled until an oil boom in 1926 brought in thousands of people the following year when Crane County was officially organized. Realtor O.C. Kinnison arrived in the area, opened an office and platted a townsite for Crane, naming the streets for his sons and daughters. When the county was organized, Crane became the county seat. The county and county seat were named for Baptist preacher and one time president of Baylor University, William Carey Crane. Crane County was one of the last Texas counties organized and the county seat of Crane is the only community in the entire county.

The county’s first courthouse, built in 1927, was a small, two-story Mission-style adobe building. In 1948, the second courthouse was built. A much larger building, it was built of brick and concrete with a red tile roof in a modern Mediterranean style with a large central two-story section flanked by one story wings. The 1927 courthouse was left on the property while the 1948 courthouse was being built and moved afterwards. (During my first visit in 2006, the county judge told me that the 1927 courthouse was moved to the high school football field for use as a storage shed until it was burned down.) Within ten years, the 1948 courthouse was deemed too small and a large rear addition was constructed in 1958, designed by the architectural firm of Groos, Clift & Ball. The addition drastically changed the building’s appearance and in essence a new courthouse emerged with the former front entrance on the east side being moved to the north side. This courthouse continues to serve the county today.
- Terry Jeanson

July 21, 2014
Source: County history and biographical information from The Handbook of Texas Online. Courthouse information from The Texas Historical Commission’s County Atlas at http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/shell-county.htm
TX - 1948 Crane County Courthouse front
Courthouse front, close-up
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, February 2013

Crane County Courthouses
- Crane, Texas

Date - 1948
Architect - Groos, Clift & Ball
Style - Modern
Material - Brick
Remodeled in 1958
TX - 1948 Crane County Courthouse east side
The east side entrance. This was the original front entrance to the building when it was constructed in 1948.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, February 2013
TX - 1948 Crane County Courthouse plaque
Dedication plaque of the original 1948 building at the east entrance.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, February 2013
TX - Crane County Courthouse 1958 dedicated plaque
Dedication plaque for the 1958 addition.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, February 2013
TX -  Crane County Courthouse courtroom
District Courtroom
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, June 2006
Texas 1948 Crane County Courthouse before remodeling
The 1948 Crane County Courthouse before remodeling
Photo Courtesy texasoldphotos.com
Texas 1948 Crane County Courthouse under cnstruction
A display cabinet at the front entrance contains many historical photos, including this one showing the construction of the 1948 courthouse (L) with the 1927 courthouse (white building) to the right.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, February 2013
The 1927 Crane County Courthouse, Crane, Texas
The 1927 Crane County Courthouse
1939 Photo courtesy TXDoT
TX - William Carey Crane Historical Marker
Both county (formed from land that had once been Tom Green County) and city were named after Wm. Carey Crane who was founder of the old Baylor University in Independence, Texas.
Photo courtesy Terry Jeanson, February 2013

William Carey Crane

Historical Marker:
County named for William Carey Crane
(1816 – 1885)

Noted church leader, educator. A Virginian, received B.A. and M.A., George Washington University. Taught in Georgia, 1837 – 39; was ordained Baptist minister, 1838. Was pastor of various leading churches; president of two church colleges in Mississippi, 1851 – 60.

Came to Confederate Texas, 1863, as president, Baylor University – position held 22 years. His work and use of his personal funds kept Baylor open while many of state’s 25 colleges were closed.

First president, 1871, of Texas State Teachers Association and chairman, committee to study public school reorganization.
(1965)
See Crane,Texas
More Texas Courthouses
Related Topics:

Texas |
Online Magazine |
Architecture |
Images |

Book Hotel Here
Odessa Hotels
More Hotels
Custom Search
TEXAS ESCAPES CONTENTS
HOME | TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE | HOTELS | SEARCH SITE
TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES

Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South | West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | FORTS | MAPS

Texas Attractions
TEXAS FEATURES
People | Ghosts | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII | History | Texas Centennial | Black History | Art | Music | Animals | Books | Food
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators | Lodges | Museums | Rooms with a Past | Gargoyles | Cornerstones | Pitted Dates | Stores | Banks | Drive-by Architecture | Signs | Ghost Signs | Old Neon | Murals | Then & Now
Vintage Photos

TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | USA | MEXICO

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
Website Content Copyright Texas Escapes. All Rights Reserved