Present Ector County Courthouse -Date
Architect - Peters and Fields
Style - Moderne
Material - Concrete
- 3rd & Grant Ave.
The building is built around the 1938 courthouse. It has all the distinctive characteristics
of the period.
Book Hotel Now - Odessa
Marker: (on the courthouse square)|
of justice for Ector, created out of Tom Green County in 1887 and organized in
The 1891 courthouse was frame, the remodelled
town sanitarium, moved to the present square. Its first floor had rooms for the
sheriff, court clerks and Odessa school, while the county and district courtroom
was upstairs. As the only public building in town, it provided space for dances.
socials and church services. Picnics and baptizings were held at the windmill
and tank on the northwest corner of the square. As townsite restriction banned
the sale of liquor, Odessa was usually quiet. However, fights broke out when settlers
rushed to the courthouse to file claims on public lands.
a 2-story red stone courthouse was built just east of the early one. On the lawn
in 1906 the Christian church was organized. At that time Odessa ha 400 people
and little hope for growth, because of drouths and their effects on cattle raising.
After oil discoveries of 1926 stimulated Ector's development, a 3-story cement
building was erected in 1938.
The fourth structure was dedicated
April 12, 1964, by governor John Connally.
County Courthouse Historical Marker|
Photo courtesy Terry
1964 Ector County Courthouse |
Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/ %7Etxpstcrd/
1938 Ector County CourthouseArchitect
- Elmer Withers
1938 Ector County Courthouse|
1939 Photo courtesy TXDoT
view of the 1938 Ector County Courthouse|
Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/
text: "Beautiful Modern Ector County Court House"|
of the 1904 2-story red stone Ector County courthouse displayed at east side entrance
of current courthouse.|
1904 Ector County Courthouse|
|Save on Hotels