TexasEscapes.comTexas Escapes Online Magazine: Travel and History
Columns: History, Humor, Topical and Opinion
Over 1400 Texas Towns & Ghost Towns
NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : ARCHITECTURE : : IMAGES : : SITE MAP
HOME
SEARCH SITE
ARCHIVES
FORUM
RESERVATIONS
Texas Hotels
Hotels
Cars
Air
Cruises
 
 Texas : Features : World War I :
Beaumont Hotels > Book Your Hotel Here & Save

The Temple to the Brave c. 1932
Beaumont, Texas

Livesay & Wiederman, architects

by John Troesser
In Beaumont's Pipkin Park - a stone's throw from the Jefferson County Courthouse, stands a rusticated building that resembles a chapel in the English countryside. Except, in this case, there are no tombstones. It sits on a large open yard.

It is a memorial erected to dead of the First World War by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Temple to the Brave building
The Temple to the Brave, Pipkin Park, Beaumont, Texas
Photo by John Troesser

The date of the dedication - October 18, 1932 corresponds to the day 18 years earlier when American forces suffered some the heaviest casualties of the war - just a few days before the armistice of November 11, 1918 was signed.

It's an understated building with a steep pitched roof that once was made of slate shingles from the old Jefferson County Courthouse (1893). The school children of Beaumont contributed $300, which was spent on re-roofing the building. The roof is now composed of asphalt composition shingles. It's regretable that material recycled from the old courthouse was disposed of in favor of an inferior material. Eight tight buttresses line the sides, framing three small stained glass windows. The wooden doors are fitted with wrought iron hinges and hardware.

Local Oilman Frank Yount donated the granite stone from which it is constructed as well as a large stained glass window on the back (West) wall of the building. The Colonel George Moffett Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution donated the Gothic stained-glass windows in the front.

Big ships in Beaumont Texas
Across the Street from the Temple to the Brave
Photo by John Troesser
The structure sits across the street from a military docking facility of the Port of Beaumont.

June 2001
John Troesser
Source: Beaumont Enterprise July 15, 1956 page 9, Section "C"
Our Thanks to the Main Reference Desk of the Beaumont Public Library


More Texas Monuments

Book Your Hotel Here & Save
Beaumont Hotels >
Texas Hotels >
 
TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS
Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South |
West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
TRIPS | State Parks | Rivers | Lakes | Drives | Maps | LODGING

TEXAS FEATURES
Ghosts | People | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII |
History | Black History | Rooms with a Past | Music | Animals | Books | MEXICO
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters | Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators |
Lodges | Museums | Stores | Banks | Gargoyles | Corner Stones | Pitted Dates |
Drive-by Architecture | Old Neon | Murals | Signs | Ghost Signs

TRAVEL RESERVATIONS
TEXAS HOTELS | Hotels | Cars | Air | Cruises | USA


Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Recommend Us | Links
Contributors | Staff | About Us | Contact TE |
TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE
HOME
Website Content Copyright 1998-2006. Texas Escapes - Blueprints For Travel, LLC. All Rights Reserved
This page last modified: June 1, 2006