a Pecan ShellAnthony
Walter and George Washington Byers, brothers and store-keeping partners founded
the town and shared the honor of being town namesake.
In 1904, the Wichita
Falls and Oklahoma Railway reached Byers, half of the money supplied by the brothers.
The town was platted and the Byers brothers subdivided their ranch into town lots.
A post office opened that same year and a newspaper began publishing a year after
With its railroad connection to the rest of the country, Byers thrived.
The population had increased to 600 by 1914 and the town enjoyed the services
from a variety of stores. The town lost some population during the depression,
ending the 1930s with 427 residents.
The railroad was abandoned in 1943.
Byers has retained its population over the years – the 2000 census reporting 517
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact