32°50'54"N 97°5'30"W (32.848253, -97.091782)
State Highways 10 and 183
North of the West Fork of the Trinity River
S of Grapevine
W of Irving
NE of Fort Worth the
NW of Dallas
ZIP codes 76039-76040
Area code 214, 469, 972, 817
Population: 61,032 (2020)
51,277 (2010) 46,005 (2000) 38,149 (1990)
Book Hotel Here Euless
a Pecan Shell
Named after Elisha
Adam Euless (1848-1911) who migrated to Texas
from Bedford County, Tennessee after the Civil War.
Settlement began in the early 1840s when Bird's Fort was established
just south of here. The community began a few years later where the
current airport is now. A post office opened in 1857 named Estill's
Station. After closing in 1868, it reopened under the name of
Estelle in 1881. In 1881 Elisha Adam and Julia Euless built
a home about a mile SW of the site and opened a cotton gin. With his
gin helping the community prosper, the town was renamed for Euless.
In 1886 the Euless Post Office opened.
Prior to the arrival of the Rock Island Railroad, local farmers
had to do business in Dallas.
After the railroad arrived in 1903 and built a depot (named Candon
then Tarrant by 1905), life was much
easier for cotton farmers. Tarrant
and Euless were a mere 2 miles apart although Tarrant’s
population of 100 was four time greater than that of Euless. The order
was switched when the railroad discontinued service. In time the two
towns merged – with Euless keeping the name.
In the early 20th century, Tennessee Dairies operated a receiving
plant here and the Fort Worth Sand and Gravel Company opened a plant
along the Trinity River. The supplemental income from milk and sand
kept local farmers afloat. A third supplement materialized in the
form of illegal whiskey distilling during prohibition.
After WWII the
population was around 300 and the Euless post office (which had been
closed in 1910) reopened in 1949.
The “HEB” School District” In the mid 1950s the school in Euless merged
with Hurst. In 1958 Bedford schools joined the other two, forming
the HEB school district. In the early 1950s Amon Carter Field was
built on the east side of Euless and State Highway 183 was paved.
The Euless Chamber of Commerce merged with the chamber of Hurst in
American Airlines moved its headquarters to Euless in the late 1950s
and the population was over 4,000 for the 1960 census.
Hurst, Euless, and Bedford established a shared hospital district
in 1969. Euless's population topped 19,000 for 1970 and rose to 24,000
In 1990 the population surpassed 38,000 and has since risen to 46,005
for the 2000 census.
| Euless City
Skinner, April 2022
| Euless Water
"Home of the Trinity Trojans"
Skinner, April 2022
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact