in a Pecan Shell
Settled in 1849 as Barnardville, George Barnard had and his
brother Charles installed a chain of trading posts along the Brazos
River and this location would come to be known as Ft. Spunky. Among
the investors in the trading post enterprise was former President
of the Republic of Texas, Sam
The post proper was run by brother Charles and the location was chosen
for a nearby spring. It was also alongside Indian trails and near
Comanche Peak - a regional landmark. The Barnard Brothers also acquired
thousands of acres of land along the river and the peak.
In the 1850s, another community came into being not far from the trading
post. Situated on George's Creek (also named after Barnard) it appeared
to have potential as a town. But the U.S. government removed the Indians
in the mid 1850s, relocating them to Ft.
Belknap. The decline in business for the trading post was devastating,
forcing it to close. The community eventually took over the trading
post's location and locals referred to the place as "Fort Spunky"
- reportedly for the frequent fights and rude lifestyle.
Despite the sparse population, a post office was granted in 1886.
Ten years later the population was around 40 residents and the town's
postmaster had acquired almost all of the community's businesses,
including the grist mill, store, feed store and cotton gin.
Population was still sixty-five in the mid 1960s but it had an abrupt
drop around 1966 to a mere fifteen residents. That figure was used
through the year 2000.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact