a Pecan Shell
In 1844 John and
Augustus King (father and son, respectively) moved here from Bonham,
Texas although the community that formed was first called Holford
Prairie (after brothers John and James Holford).
In the early 1850s The Texas Immigration and Land Company employed
one Henry Hedgcoxe as administrator for property titles and plats.
For his rigid enforcement of regulations, Hedgcoxe bred ill will with
settlers which resulted in a rebellion sometimes referred to as “The
Hedgcoxe War.” Although the rebellion bore his name, Mr. Hedgcoxe
was the loser and was run out of town. The Holford brothers were bought
out in 1853 by Basdeal W. Lewis who applied for a post office and
modestly renamed the place after himself.
A gristmill appeared in 1862, shortly after the Civil War a cotton
gin was opened – the first in Denton
County. In 1881 The Dallas and Wichita Railroad arrived and the
population began to grow, reaching a respectable 500 residents by
1900. In the mid 1920s the town incorporated and the population had
increased to just over 800 residents. To insure a reliable supply
of water, a dam was built on the Elm Fork of the Trinity River. Lewisville
managed to get through the Great Depression with a (slight) gain in
population. The 1940 census counted 873 residents and ten years later
it had swollen to 1,509. The dam on Lake Lewisville was expanded and
the construction of the Dallas
/ Ft. Worth airport
helped with growth.
The 1960 census counted 5,439 residents. In the 1970s and 80s, Lewisville
benefitted from major business relocations and by the time the 1990
census was taken, Lewisville could boast a population of 46,521. The
2000 census counted 77,737 residents.
| Hebron Station
A-train suburban rail station in Lewisville
33° 0' 37.03" N, 96° 57' 30.56" W (33.010286, -96.958489)
Photo courtesy Clint
Skinner, August 2020
"I accidentally found this historical marker at Hebron Station
in Lewisville. The station is located near what used to be Vista Ridge
Mall. The place underwent some changes and got renamed Music City
Mall." - Clint
More Texas Music
| Texas International
Pop Festival historical marker at Hebron Station
952 Lakeside Circle, Lewisville
Photo courtesy Clint
Skinner, August 2020
(At Hebron Station)
The Texas International
Pop Festival took place near this site during Labor Day Weekend, 1969.
It was held two weeks after the Woodstock Music and Art Fair introduced
much of Mainstream America to the "Hippie" Culture by way of news
reports of the chaos that occurred there in part due to rainy weather
and lax security. The Texas festival brought as many as 150,000 hippies,
bikers, and music lovers to Lewisville, which at the time had a population
of approximately 9,000 citizens.
The Dallas International Motor Speedway, situated along Interstate
Highway 35 south of town, was chosen as the location for the event.
Twenty-five musical acts, representing the genres of Soul, Blues,
and Rock and Roll performed during the three days of the festival.
Acts included Janis Joplin, Sly & The Family Stone, Grand Funk Railroad,
Chicago Transit Authority, Herbie Man, and a relatively unknown United
Kingdom band called Led Zeppelin.
On the north side of Lewisville, a public campground situated on the
shores of Lewisville Lake served the thousands of festival attendees.
A small "free stage" was constructed at the campground and local bands
were brought in to perform for the campers. The skinny-dipping in
Lake Lewisville that resulted from the lack of shower facilities and
the late summer heat drew much attention.
Many locals demanded that the festival be shut down because of the
threat of violence and unsavory activity, but there were no acts of
violence reported at the festival. However, area citizens were introduced
to a culture that had previously been foreign to them and many who
attended look back on the festival as a life-changing event.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
landmarks and recent or vintage photos, please contact