a Pecan ShellHugh
and Washington Ingram are credited with being the community’s first settlers.
They arrived around 1850 and eight years later a post office opened. The community
got a grist mill (steam powered) around 1870 and by the mid 1880s there were two
more as well as a sawmill and three general stores.
The population was
just 75 around this time, growing to perhaps a peak population of less than 200
No records are available for the period covering the Great Depression
through WWII, but these
factors as well as school consolidation (with schools in Kerens)
took their toll.
Businesses closed as well as the post office and only
a church and cemetery were left (with scattered housing). By the 1990s, despite
its welcoming name, Rural Shade was given the most dreaded classification of “a
dispersed rural community.” The 2000 census managed to count 30 area residents.
County 1920s Map showing Rural Shade|
(E of Corsicana
near Henderson County line)
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
Hotels - Corsicana
|Save on Hotels