on a Pinhead|
Settlement dates back to Austin’s Colony prior
to the Texas Revolution. But there was no community per se until the late 1900s.
A post office opened in 1893 but closed its doors in 1913.
The town’s growth
was stymied by its proximity to
Bellville and the fact that it never received a railroad
connection. No population figures are available for most of the 20th century but
in 1968 it was estimated to be 150. Four years later it was reported to be 69
– the same figure that appears on the 2006 map.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels