|Carmine on Highway
TE photo, September 2004
a Pecan Shell
Originally called Sylvan, the name was changed to honor Newton
Carmean, the first postmaster in 1892. Although it's spelled Carmine,
the pronunciation remains Car-mean.
A Dr. B. J. Thigpen was promised the job of railroad agent when
the Texas and New Orleans Railroad built through the area. He moved
his family to Carmine on Christmas Day, 1885. Thigpen's job was
to promote the town and he did. In 1900 there were four stores,
four saloons, two blacksmiths shops, and a newspaper.
In 1950 Carmine had a population of 650 which declined to 239 by
the mid 80s to its present estimate of 228. Carmine and Round
Top share their schools. Round
Top has the elementary school while Carmine maintains the high
track was removed sometime in the early 80s and the chamber of commerce
operates from the former depot.
Carmine's bank has been robbed twice. In the 1930s by Ray
Hamilton and Associates, members of the Barrow
gang, and in recent years by amateurs from Austin
who were apprehended before getting as far as Giddings.
Today the majority
of stores along the highway are antique dealers.
of Commerce housed in the former depot
More Texas Depots
|St. Matthew Missionary
Church in Carmine Texas
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, April 2005
|Wisteria in full
bloom in Carmine
TE photo, March 3009
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact