This named community, located ten miles northeast of Hempstead
in Waller County, existed as early as 1872. It derived its name from one of the
early residents, Andrew Field and his son Druey Holland Field, who opened a general
store in the small agricultural settlement. Settlers began arriving in the area
prior to the Civil War and by 1874 a post office called Field’s Store and operated
by Isaac Newton Jones, Druey’s son-in-law, served as the center for mail deliveries.
In 1875, the post office dropped the apostrophe from the name. Thirty residents
lived in the area in the 1880’s and the population increased to about 150 over
the next decade.
Three general stores, at least one church, and a physician
provided services for the residents. In 1905, the Fields Store School enrolled
179 students, instructed by four teachers. A local Masonic Lodge existed during
the period and, by 1907, a Woodman of the World chapter had received its charter.
A cotton gin also served local farmers; as did a brick kiln, blacksmith shop,
and other businesses. It was also known as New Hope Community.
Store declined when the neighboring communities of Myrtle Grove and Joseph developed
gins and opened post offices. The Fields Store post office ceased operations in
1909. During the 1930’s sixty-nine students attended the primary school in Fields
Store and the high school students rode a bus to Waller.
In 1953, the Fields Store school was consolidated with the Waller
schools. The old Fields Store school building, completed in 1923. served as the
Fields Store Community House for gatherings; and, Pleasant Hill Masonic Lodge
No. 380 met at the meeting hall in Fields Store. An active cemetery association
raised funds from July 4 picnics and sponsorship of an annual rodeo. The picnics
served as community reunions. The Texas Historical Commission has placed markers
at the site of the old store and at the cemetery.
The Fields Store Cemetery,
located to the west off of FM-1488 on the John Reece Survey, was established during
the Reconstruction period on land donated by Druery Holland Field; and, by J.
W. Day, a Confederate veteran. It is the burial place of early pioneer settlers
and their descendents, including veterans of 5 wars. Although one of the oldest
and one of the largest cemeteries in Waller County, its location is so secluded,
sitting back in an area of large oak, hickory, and cedar trees, one unfamiliar
with the community would never realize they were passing so near this historic
One ancestor, Jesse Wiley Robertson, owned 113 acres and had
lived in the vicinity for about eighteen years when he applied in 1905 for benefits
under the Indigent Soldier of the Confederacy Act of May 12, 1899. He enlisted
in 1861 and served four years in the Willis Cavalry Regiment of the Wauls Texas
Legion, CSA. A son, Louis Thomas Robertson, also served in the Texas State Militia.
County was created by a Special Act of the 13th Texas State Legislature, passed
on April 28, 1873. It was named after Edwin Waller, a co-signer of the Texas Declaration
of Independence. It was formed out of lands formerly part of Austin and Grimes
counties. Hempstead is the county seat.
a resident in Houston, one of our best
summer events was to feast on a “Hempstead Melon”. Whether a red or a yellow,
the fresh, sweet, tasty meat of the vine was a delightful treat!