in a Pecan Shell
Named for Edwin Waller, (namesake of neighboring ../Counties/Waller-County-Texas.htm)
when the town was platted in 1884, Waller was a relative upstart
compared to its older neighbor Hockley.
A post office was applied for within the first month and was soon
"Uncle Doc" Sanders opened his doors for business soon after the
post office was opened, thus reversing the usual order of store
first, post office second.
In 1889 the town limits were extended beyond the original plat.
By 1899 the town had a population of 500. The
great Galveston storm of 1900 did substantial damage – ruining
the local Baptist College to the point that it wasn’t rebuilt.
A.D. Purvis opened "God's Mercy Store" around 1918 with the unusual
concept of “cost plus.” Pricing was at cost and buyers added whatever
amount they deemed suitable. Evidently the audience was appreciative
since the store continued in business into the 1920s.
Ed and Bob
Robertson operated a livery stable after the turn of the century
and then became the local Ford dealship after cars were introduced.
Many livery stables around the country made the switch from wagons
to cars. Those who didn’t modernize soon became defunct.
In the 20s, the Boettcher Cotton Gin served as an area cooperative,
marketing cotton and other crops while providing a social framework
for the community. Members operated a store, and drove produce and
other marketable goods to Houston,
returning with necessities that couldn’t be produced locally.
declined in the 50’s, dooming the gin, but it didn’t destroy the
town. The population has grown from just over 700 in 1950 to almost
1,500 by 1990 and reaching 2,092 by 2000.
a bedroom community for Houston,
even while maintaining its rural flavor.