Harmonie Verein Hall, Est. 1872|
in a Pecan ShellEstablished
around 1845, the town was originally known as Muelheim. The Anglicized
spelling came about later. A post office was granted in 1878 when the community
population was just under 100 residents.
The mid 1880s were prosperous
for the community with several stores in operation as well as brewery. The arrival
of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway raised hopes of permanent prosperity,
only to be dashed when the town was bypassed.
The post office closed in
1915 when the town posted its high-water mark of 150 residents. In the mid 1930s
it fell to an estimated 100 – where it remained until after WWII.
By the time of the 2000 census, the town had once again matched the 1915 population
Austin County postal map showing Millheim|
(Above "T" in "AUSTIN")
Texas General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels