in a Pecan ShellGerman
immigrants settled here in 1876. Pastor C. C. Rudi is credited with forming St.
John's Lutheran Church which was the nucleus of the community. Although the town
prospered in itís early years, it was hampered by its proximity to the county
seat in Brenham.
open its own school beginning in the mid 1890s. St. Johnís church burned in 1912
but was rebuilt that same year. The postwar period drew population away and the
school was consolidated with Brenham.
The church remains the center of the community.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels