in a Pecan Shell
Settled in 1837, the town received a post
office in 1846. The initial Anglo settlers were joined by a flood of German immigrants
in the early 1880s.
In the mid 1880s, Sempronius reported a population
of 150 with businesses that included a steam-powered gristmill and a gin. The
town also had a school and two churches.
In the early 1880s, Sempronius
suffered the fate of hundreds of Texas towns: death by railroad bypass. The railroad
in this case was the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe.
Sempronius was depopulated
with some residents moving to nearby Kenney and
others to Brenham, Bellville
In 1905 the town saw its post office close and the town was
totally abandoned before 1920.
County Texas 1907 Postal Map showing Sempronius|
General Land Office
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here