in a Pecan Shell
One of the earliest communities in Gregg
County, Camden grew around a crossing
of the Sabine River (John Walling’s Ferry). Mr. Walling arrived
in Texas in the early 1830s or before.
Walling’s operation had been licensed by the Mexican government
and was doing business when Sam
Houston entered Texas in 1932.
During the early years, the names Camden and Walling’s
Ferry were used interchangeably.
In the mid 1840s, an entrepreneur named Enoch Hays saw the need
for a hotel and built an eight-room, two story tavern with sleeping
rooms. From the late 1840s through 1872, the community had a post
office – usually named Walling’s Ferry and sometimes called Camden.
The postmaster would accept either address.
Steamboats could navigate up the Sabine
River as far as Camden into the 1850s, but a decline set in
even before the end of the Civil War. The river bottom provided
harborage for mosquitoes and the populace was constantly under threat
of malaria and other water-borne diseases and parasites. Residents
relocated to higher ground but what finally erased Camden from maps
was the establishment of Iron
Camden’s population had fled by the late 1860s and by the 1870s
it was a full-fledged ghost town. It was dropped from maps, long
before the 20th Century although the Camden cemetery is said to
remain in use.
out there again today and walked through the woods a bit more."
Camden Cemetery near Easton
"About 10 miles South of Longview,
take FM 2906 to Easton. Near Easton
lies what remains of Camden, formerly known as Walling's Ferry.
Direction to the Cemetery
The cemetery is on an unmarked road directly west from Church St.
in Easton. It dead ends into a field
with the cemetery to the right and a few crumbled houses in the woods
to the left. There is a small gated section of the cemetery, then
a few grave sites nearby that are falling apart. As far as we could
see there weren't any no tresspassing signs of any sort.
Houses in the Forest
They are visible from the field if you look closely. One is flattened
but has glass bottles and bricks scattered about. There is a concrete
well and remains of the structure. Many bricks had "Dallas" printed
on them. The second house is about to cave in and should not be entered.
The brush is a little thick and has lots of sharp thorns. Long sleeves
and pants are necessary.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact