I-20 and Hwy 59
16 miles S of Jefferson
76 miles N of Nacogdoches
23 miles E of Longview
51 miles E of Tyler
148 miles E of Dallas
on Hwy 80 & 59
39 miles W of Shreveport, Louisiana
Population 23,935 (2000)
Marshall was always prosperous and its contributions to the Confederacy
were substantial. During the war, Confederates in Missouri sent "their"
government people and some state archives to Marshall, making the
town the Confederate
Capital of Missouri. Missouri never officially left the
Union, but it gives us something to talk about today. The building
was long ago razed, but the address was 402 South Bolivar Street.
Two years after Harrison County was created by the Republic of Texas
Congress in 1839, landowner Peter Whetstone offered property for a
courthouse, a church, and a school in an effort to persuade county
officials to locate the seat of government in the new town formed
on his land. Isaac Van Zandt, the local representative to the Republic
Congress, named the new community Marshall in honor of U. S. Chief
Justice John Marshall. By 1850 it had become one of the wealthiest
towns in East Texas, with a
population of about 2,000 and a number of cultural, religious, and
civic organizations. An important Confederate stronghold during the
Civil War, Marshall was home to the wartime capital of Missouri and
the postal headquarters of the South's Trans-Mississippi Department.
Following the war, it was the site of an office of the Freedmen's
Bureau. After the Texas and Pacific Railway located its division point,
shops, and offices here in the 1870s, Marshall became a major regional
marketing and educational center. Colleges located here included Marshall
University, Marshall Masonic Female Institute, Wiley College, Bishop
College, and East Texas Baptist College (later East Texas Baptist
Starr Family State Historic Site
Starr Family Mansion" by Archie P. McDonald, PhD
The given name to the mansion was "Maplecroft".
National Historic District
A three square block area next to the recently restored T & P Railroad
The Ginnocchio Hotel (circa 1896) gives the district its name, although
it includes many other fine examples of Victorian architecture.
Pottery & Museum
FM 31 - 21/2 miles SW of Town - 903-938-9201
Tours include The Lale Trail, a tour of historic Marshall
homes and The Stagecoach Trace which is a tour of Harrison
Powdermill and Old Marshall.
Hotel - Marshall
The Old Paramount Theatre
TE Photo, 2000
Days" Celebration - The third weekend in May Marshall celebrates
it's past and the Old Stagecoach road is remembered. The stage ran
from Karnack to Marshall. Contact the Chamber of Commerce: 903-935-7868
of Lights - Thanksgiving to New Year's Day
Marshall is famous for the elaborate lighting of their courthouse.
Call 903-935-7868 for information.
Trail of Lights - A Christmas Treat. Stops includes Marshall,
East Texas and Natchitoches and Shreveport in Louisiana.
Fire Ant Festival
"Moore Texas Cartoon"
Hotel - Marshall
Civil War Journal by Bob Bowman
In early 1861, W.W. Heartsill of Marshall, Texas, marched off to
war with W.P. Lane’s Rangers of the Confederate Army. During the
four years, one month and one day that he spent at war, Heartsill
managed to keep a diary of each day...
Harper Starr by Archie P. McDonald
by Chance - Edward Clark by Archie P. McDonald
Time Judge Thomas Whitfield Davidson by Archie P. McDonald
Texas Bapist University by Archie P. McDonald
by Mike Cox
"... On Feb. 14, 1854, the Texas and Red River Telegraph Co.
opened for business in Marshall, the first city in the state to
have some semblance of the instant communication now taken for granted
in the age of Blackberries and Ipods. This first telegraph line
connected Marshall with New Orleans via Shreveport, Alexandria,
La., and Natchez, Miss. From New Orleans, messages could be transmitted
to other major American cities...."
straight to hell.” by Bob Bowman
Sam B. Hall, Jr., the son of an East Texas lawyer and judge who
rose to a leadership role in Congress and finished his career as
a federal judge, was one of East Texas’ most interesting contemporary
of an Actor: Maurice Barrymore
Marshall was indirectly responsible for launching the Barrymore
Architecture / Images
postcards courtesy rootsweb.com/%7Etxpstcrd/
The Marshall Chamber of Commerce - 903-935-7868
213 West Austin Street.
Hotel - Marshall
Cotton to Market"
Postcard courtesy www.rootsweb.com/
Street looking south, with a view of the courthouse
1940s postcard courtesy rootsweb.com/
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact