County, East Texas
About 8 Miles NE of Center
on a Pinhead|
Founded by Louisianans in the 1880s, the town was named for their former
community there. It was granted a post office by 1902, but the facility was closed
just six years later. Growth was curtailed by its proximity to the county seat
but it did have enough people to justify a store and church.
figues are available but by the late 1980s, only the church and cemetery were
left with scattered residences to mark what had been Campti.
The town may
have had its 15 minutes of fame in 2010 when it became known for being the “hideout”
of an escaped Oklahoma prisoner and his lover (the wife of the prison warden).
County 1907 postal map showing Campti|
"L" in "SHELBY")
Courtesy Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that
anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic/contemporary
photos of their town/subject, please contact
|Save on Hotels