County, East Texas
State Highway 37 and FM 71
About 11 Miles NW of Mount
Population: 00040 (2000)
in a Pecan Shell|
Originally called Hagan's Port because
it was a crossing point on the Sulphur River, the space between the two words
was omitted after 1857 when a post office opened here.
After the Civil
War the post office closed, to reopen in the year of America’s Centennial. The
population in the mid 1880s reached 150. Hagensport had the essential businesses
(a gin and a mill) as well as a school and four churches.
Over the years
Hagansport drifted from its river location to where it is today. The post office
closed for good in 1929 although it retained four businesses into the Great Depression.
The population went from 125 in the 1930s to a mere 40 residents by the 1980s
where it remained for the 2000 census.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels