Church in Winnsboro
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, July 2007
a Pecan Shell
Englishman (and early settler) John E. Wynn became the town’s namesake
in the 1850s. Originally spelled Wynnsborough, the name was
changed to Winnsborough when a post office was applied for
in 1855. It was renamed with the current spelling in 1893.
In 1876 a narrow gauge railroad connected the community to Jefferson
which was then a prosperous port. The population was a respectable
700 residents in 1885.
The Texas Southern Railroad arrived in 1904 and ten years later the
town had 2,300 people which declined to only 1,900 in the mid 1930s.
Growth has been slow but steady since WWII,
slowly growing to the present (2010) population of 3,458.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact