on a PinheadThe
community was large enough to warrant post office which was in operation from
1897 until 1908 (as shown on the postal map below).
figures are unavailable, it maintained a church (St. James Basptist) and school,
which shared the same roof. 1938 saw the consolidation of the school with other
regional schools and the community, without a single anchor business, soon declined
to the point of non-existence.
The name wasn’t exactly a draw for residents,
but there’s no proof to the rumor that former residents of Hot moved to Parker
County’s Cool, Texas.
County 1907 postal map showing Hot|
"L" in "SHELBY" near San Augustine County line)
Texas General Land Office
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas, asks that
anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic/contemporary
photos of their town/subject, please contact
|Save on Hotels