History in a Pecan
as Martin’s Mill or Martin’s City, the community dates from the
1850s when former Alabaman John Martin, M.D. settled here and started a plantation.
Dr. Martin did indeed build a mill – and when a post office was apllied for in
1867, it was rejected due to another community using the name. It was quickly
resubmitted as Martinsville, which was accepted. It remained open until 1888.
At that time the community reported a mere 40 residents which increased to 200
During the worst of the Great Depression, Martinville supported
ten businesses although the population declined by half to 100 residents.
Postwar prosperity closed most of Martinsville’s business although the population
remained at 100. It has been designated a “dispersed rural community” with 126
people reported for 1990 and 2000.
|Book Hotel Here