a Pecan ShellFirst
known as Liberty Hill when it was formed in the 1830s, a water-driven mill
was built there by Enoch Hays and Willis Calloway. The community (whose one-year
old post office had been called Walling's Mill) changed its name in 1848.
Ten years later a "Male and Female Academy" was opened.
The first telegraph
line in Texas ran from Jefferson
to (what later) became Henderson and this line
(still called "the Wire Road" today) ran through Millville. The importance of
the town strengthened when it became a stop on the Marshall
to San Antonio stage line. Industries
at Millville included sheep-raising, funiture production and a tanning yard.
post office closed in 1873, reopened in 1877, closed again and reopened in 1894
and finally closed for good in 1897. In the 1880s Millville suffered the fate
of many Texas towns when it was
bypassed by the railroad. The
last chance it had at remaining a viable town was taken from it when it was bypassed
again - this time by the highway.
The school (as well as Millville's few
remaining businesses) moved to Oak Hill and today only a church and cemetery remain
of a town that once had a bright future.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories, and vintage/historic
photos of their town, please contact
|Save on Hotels