Texas Historic Landmark|
On Courthouse Square
4th and Elm St.
two-story jail building was constructed in 1912, twenty-one years after the organization
of Sterling County. Built by the Southern Structural Steel Co., it is located
on property deeded to the county by Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Stewart. Stone for the
exterior was quarried locally. The interior includes a downstairs living area
for the sheriff and seven cells on the upper floor. An addition to the rear was
completed in the 1960s.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980
County Jail historical marker|
Photo coutesy Barclay
Gibson, December 2009
viw of the Sterling County Jail|
Photo courtesy Ken
Rudine, August 2005