in a Pecan Shell
Christine was founded in October of 1909. It was developed by Charles
Simmons who also developed Charlotte
and Imogene (defunct).
All three towns were named after Simmons' daughters. Charlotte has
become the larger of the surviving towns.
After some initial difficulties with the area water - the problem
was solved with the construction of a water tower (1916).
The estimated population in 1914 was 600. It was halved in the 20s,
but during the 1930s it increased to 524. The school consolodated
with Jourdanton in 1948 and forty
years later the population was only 381. It has increased slightly
to the present 412 (est. 2016).
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact