Off US 83 and State 374
14 miles NE of McAllen
Population: 16,089 (2010)
Two East Texas
men, T. J. Hooks and A. F. Hester, began developing this area for
settlement in the late 1890s. Through formation of the La Blanca Agricultural
Company, they set up farms and irrigation systems and advertised the
area's favorable climate and resources. In 1904, when a rail line
was built here, they founded the town of Donna, named for T. J. Hooks
daughter. Ed Ruthven opened the first store and, in 1908, the town
incorporated with R. P. Boeye as mayor. Since the earliest days of
the 20th century, Donna has developed as one of the leading cities
of the Rio Grande Valley.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
in a Pecan Shell
by Mike Cox ("Texas Tales" column)
"Donna Hooks Fletcher had that wholesome Gibson girl look, which
may explain part of her ability to get what she wanted...
T.J. Hooks ... purchased 23,000 acres in Hidalgo County in 1900. When
his 21-year-old daughter’s marriage fell apart, Hooks gave her some
land so she could start supporting herself. She stocked her acreage
with Jersey cattle and launched a successful butter business... more
Landmarks & Attractions
Fletcher Museum -
In Historic American Legion Hall
318 S. Main
Lands - Birding and butterfly gardens.
Call Chamber of Commerce - 956-464-3272 - for guided tours
Central Elementary School
Center - 921, Miller Ave.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact