|Dr. R. H. Harrison
courtesy Nesbitt Memorial Library (Enhanced by Steve Morgan)
a Pecan Shell
Alleyton is hardly
a household name, yet its importance to the Confederacy is well known
by Texas Civil War buffs.
Since it was
the end of the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos and Colorado Railroad line,
it was also the point for distributing supplies that came in from
England via Matamoros, Mexico on the "Cotton Road".
Even cotton farmers from as
far away as Warrenton
(Fayette County) would
make the trip to Brownsville.
|. Alleyton depot
during 1913 flood
courtesy Nesbitt Memorial Library
Marker - intersection of Center & Alleyton Roads
Photo courtesy Barclay
Gibson, February 2009
settlement and once largest town in Colorado County. Established by
the pioneer Alley family (Willliam, John, Rawson, Thomas and Abraham),
all members of Austin's original 300 settlers. Terminus of the Buffalo
Bayou, Brazos and Colorado Railroad, 1860-1867.
Born as War clouds
gathered. Alleyton was a key point on the supply line of the Confederate
States of American during the Civil War. It was both beginning and
end of the cotton road leading to the Confederacy's back door on the
Rio Grande River.
By 1860 the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos and Colorado Railroad extended from
Harrisburg, near Houston.
To Alleyton. As a railhead Alleyton became the site of an important
cotton station and Quartermaster
Depot during the War.
Cotton came here from north
and east Texas. From Louisiana,
and from Arkansas on the Rails of the B.B.B. & C. and via wagon roads.
From Alleyton the South's most precious trading commodity was carried
to a point on the Colorado River across from Columbus.
A point on the Colorado River across from Columbus.
It was then ferried across for the start of a long, tortuous journey
to the Rio Grande. The bales of cotton
were hauled on big-bedded wagons and high-wheeled Mexican carts, pulled
by mules, horses or oxen.
The Cotton Road led to Goliad,
the King Ranch and finally to Brownsville.
Shreds of white fluff on bush and cactus marked the trail of the wagon
trains. From Brownsville
the cotton was taken across
the river to Matamoros, Mexico and subsequently placed on board ships
bound for Europe. As the only major gap in the Federal naval blockade
of the Confederacy, neutral Matamoros was the place of exchange for
outgoing cotton and imported
munitions, clothing and medicine.
When Federal forces took Vicksburg in 1863 the Mississippi River was
sealed off and the Confederacy divided. The Texas-Mexico trade routes
became the South's major military supply lines in the trans-Mississippi
Alleyton was a main destination of the wagon trains returning from
the Rio Grande. Rifles, swords, shirts, pants, alum, arrowroot and
other items needed by soldier and civilian in the harried Confederacy
were unloaded here for new destinations.
Dallas Stoudenmire's participation in the Civil War
|Alleyton is also
the the burial place of Dallas Stoudenmire, a local Confederate
veteran turned gunman who became both an El Paso City Marshall and
a U.S. Deputy Marshall in El
Eager to get into his new job in El
Paso, he killed 3 men within 3 days of taking the job. It sounds
worse than it was since they were all killed in the same fight. Dallas
bullied and cursed the city council, but openly apologized when sober.
The apologetic side of his nature shows his good Colorado County upbringing.
His homicidal streak he acquired elsewhere. Dallas returned to Columbus
long enough to get married in February, 1882 but was shot dead within
the year back in El
Paso. This occurred some 13 years before John Wesley Hardin
(from nearby Gonzales)
was also shot dead in El
|The former Alleyton
|Citizens of Alleyton
have progressed from the old wooden Post Office to the nice and neat
modern metal drive-up boxes. It does make visiting with neighbors
a little difficult, but now they can honk at one another.
Today, Alleyton sits undisturbed just East of Columbus
and makes an interesting drive-by visit on the way to Eagle
Lake and points south.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history
and vintage/historic photos, please contact