The Present Kimble
County Courthouse - Junction, TexasDate:
Architect: Henry Phelps
county was named after Alamo defender Geo. C. Kimble. Originally the County
Seat was the short-lived (and often flooded) town of Kimbleville.
The current Kimble County Courthouse was built in 1929. There were two others,
one in 1878 and another in 1885. The first one burned, necessitating the second.
The second was burned in 1888, but was repaired.
County Courthouse |
1939 Photo courtesy TXDoT
earlier view of the Kimble County Courthouse in Junction|
The 1878 Kimble
County courthouse &
The 1885 Kimble County courthouse
from 1885 Courthouse
|The cornerstone of
the 1885 courthouse sits not far from the Chamber of Commerce's office
and shows that it was the design of English Architect Alfred Giles. Giles designed
courthouses in Marfa, Falfurrias,
Goliad and Floresville.
His 1882 Courthouse in Fredericksburg
is now the Gillespie County Library. En route to Fredericksburg,
he had the misfortune of being robbed while a passenger in a stagecoach. Giles
also designed the Webb
County Courthouse in Laredo and many buildings in Mexico. |
According to the THC Atlas at http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/shell-county.htm,
the 1878 Kimble County courthouse was a two-story frame building. It burned
on April 22, 1884. The 1885 Kimble County courthouse was a two-story stone
building with a square floor plan. It was designed by Alfred Giles and the contractor
was J.M. Piper." - Terry