TexasEscapes.com Texas Escapes Online Magazine: Travel and History
Columns: History, Humor, Topical and Opinion
Over 1600 Texas Towns & Ghost Towns
NEW : : TEXAS TOWNS : : GHOST TOWNS : : FEATURES : : COLUMNS : : ARCHITECTURE : : IMAGES : : SITE MAP
HOME
SEARCH SITE
ARCHIVES
RESERVATIONS
Texas Hotels
Hotels
Cars
Air
Cruises
 
  Texas : Towns A-Z / Ghost Towns / Panhandle / West Texas :

Texas Ghost Town
WILMETH, TEXAS
AKA Mazeland

Runnels County, Panhandle / West Texas

Area Hotels, Book Here & Save
San Angelo Hotels
Abilene Hotels

Wilmeth Texas gin and silos
Cotton gin and silos in Wilmeth
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, February 2007
Mazeland, named for the maize that grew in the area, was founded on May 25, 1903, when a store and post office was opened on the Hutchison Ranch with Mrs Hutchison as postmistress. A school was erected in 1904, on land donated by M.T. Hensley, a mile and a half northeast of Mazeland.

In 1910 a two-story building was erected and more teachers employed. In 1915 the building was remodeled again. At one time there was a church, and a community auditorium at the school. The school consolidated with Winters in 1947. By 1906 settlement in the area had shifted to a mile east of the school house. This section was named after a popular Ballinger banker, Jo Wilmeth. Joel Smith and his wife started a store in Wilmeth. Housewives would bring the mail from Mazeland and leave it at the store. Mrs Smith saw the need for a post office in Wilmeth and became postmistress when one was opened in April 1, 1907. Richard Nash bought the Mazeland store in 1907 and became postmaster in of Mazeland.

The following year he moved the store and post office to Wilmeth. Both post offices closed in 1909. At one time Wilmeth had two blacksmith shops, a gin, a store and post office, a barber, and a telephone system with over 60 subscribers. A Methodist church was built at the Mazeland school in 1913. Members of the Church of Christ erected a building in 1916. The Baptist organized in 1906 at Mazeland, meeting in the schoolhouse. In 1909 the Methodists and Baptist built a tabernacle at the school. The Baptist built a church at Wilmeth in 1921. The Church of Christ closed in 1962, the Methodist in 1949, and the Baptist in 2004. The Wilmeth store was closed in the 1970's.

From "Eighteen Ghost Towns of Runnels County" by Alton O'Neil Jr.
Wilmeth Texas closed building
Photo courtesy Barclay Gibson, February 2007
Wilmeth Texas abandoned house on a field
Scenes from Wilmeth, Texas
Photos courtesy Barclay Gibson, February 2007
More Texas Towns
More Ghost Towns

Book Your Hotel Here & Save
San Angelo Hotels
Abilene Hotels
More Hotels

Wilmeth Texas Forum

Anyone wishing to share history or photos of Wilmeth, Texas, please contact us.

More Barclay Gibson Photos
 
TEXAS TOWN LIST | TEXAS GHOST TOWNS | TEXAS COUNTIES
Texas Hill Country | East Texas | Central Texas North | Central Texas South |
West Texas | Texas Panhandle | South Texas | Texas Gulf Coast
TRIPS | STATES PARKS | RIVERS | LAKES | DRIVES | MAPS

TEXAS FEATURES
Ghosts | People | Historic Trees | Cemeteries | Small Town Sagas | WWII |
History | Black History | Rooms with a Past | Music | Animals | Books | MEXICO
COLUMNS : History, Humor, Topical and Opinion

TEXAS ARCHITECTURE | IMAGES
Courthouses | Jails | Churches | Gas Stations | Schoolhouses | Bridges | Theaters |
Monuments/Statues | Depots | Water Towers | Post Offices | Grain Elevators |
Lodges | Museums | Stores | Banks | Gargoyles | Corner Stones | Pitted Dates |
Drive-by Architecture | Old Neon | Murals | Signs | Ghost Signs | Then and Now
Vintage Photos

TRAVEL RESERVATIONS | USA

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | Recommend Us
Contributors | Staff | Contact TE
TEXAS ESCAPES ONLINE MAGAZINE
Website Content Copyright 1998-2007. Texas Escapes - Blueprints For Travel, LLC. All Rights Reserved
This page last modified: May 12, 2007