in a Pecan Shell
Cleveland dates back to 1836 when the state
started giving land grants in exchange for service in the army. This arrangement
brought in many new residents, but no community formed. In the 1850s, Father Peter
La Cour built the area’s first church.
Finally, in 1878, upon the arrival
of the Houston, East and West Texas Railway, Charles Lander Cleveland donated
land to establish a depot. Cleveland asked for the town to be named in his honor,
which was soon done.
In 1900, a second railroad appeared (the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe) and although
both have undergone changes in name, they both meet at Cleveland.
continues to produce timber and lumber – just as it has since the late 19th century.
The economy is also supplemented by oil, gas and cattle raising.
mid 1960s, Cleveland started to be included as part of Greater Houston. From a
population of just 1,200 in 1930, Cleveland rose to 5,977 for the 1980 census,
increasing to the present (2000) 7,605.
CLEVELAND was once a sawmill town with several along side old highway 59 and now
is more of a commercial center. - Ken
Rudine, August 2007