Highway 35 and the waterfront just north of Rockport
Population 1,553 (2000)
in a Seashell
Founded in 1866, the town was named after George
Ware Fulton, the builder of the Fulton
Mansion - one of the more famous 19th Century mansions in the state.
The port was busy during the cattle boom, shipping beef to Eastern ports and New
Orleans. With railroad expansion, the packing houses closed down by the mid-1870s.
Fulton's population was a mere 175 in 1885. A stage line connected Fulton
and St. Mary's of Aransas.
From 1888 to 1900 the town was renamed Aransas
City. The name reverted back to Fulton with the closure of the Aransas City
In the 1930s pre-Columbian artifacts were discovered. Tourism
is the areas biggest economic asset.
Escapes, in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing
Texas, asks that anyone wishing to share their local history, stories,
and vintage/historic photos, please contact
|Book Hotel Here