a Pecan Shell
The community was once part of the Martin de Leon Colony (established
in 1824). Settlers began arriving later that decade. The name was
to honor Guadalupe Victoria, first president of the newly independent
Republic of Mexico.
The name was loosely applied for years until the San Antonio and Mexican
Gulf Railroad arrived in 1860. They made Guadalupe a stop, making
the name official.
A post office was granted in 1850 but only lasted two years, In 1897
another post office opened, this one lasted until 1935. (See postmark
Growth was stunted by the community's proximity to Victoria
and the population stayed at an estimated 120 residents from 1900
through the 1980s. In the 1950s there was a deep decline and from
the mid 1980s to the 2000 census, the population stood at 106.
in its purpose to preserve historic, endangered and vanishing Texas,
asks that anyone wishing to share their local history and vintage/historic
photos, please contact